Friday, October 5, 2012

TGIF!



It's Friday and I am dog-tired!


Today was a busy, yet great day at work.  My students were delightful, as always.  I don't know if I mentioned it yet, (or maybe I didn't for fear of jinxing it) but I have the most delightful class this year.  These kids are such a breath of fresh air.  I'm actually starting to remember why I became a teacher in the first place.  Yay for me!
 
What made today such a great day at work?  Beyond the obvious of  having such delightful students, of course.  Today, I got to be a rock star.  No, I didn't hit the Schnapps while the children were at recess!  I actually got to sing like a rock star at work.
 
Yes, I was this cool. Well, maybe not really,
but I thought I was this cool.
We had an assembly to promote the new school-wide reading incentive program at the very end of the day.  To try and build excitement, the reading teacher asked for one teacher from each grade group to join in the fun and sing a reading themed version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing".  It was like Glee, only if the teachers were all forced to sing against their will.  I got volunteered by my teammate/work husband because I was in a meeting when the reading teacher came around looking for hostages, oops, I mean volunteers. 
 
Anywho, I got volunteered to join the band, which wasn't a totally awful thing since I am a singer in real life.  We had a few short and painful practices to get ready before the big day arrived. Not all volunteers had singing ability, but they had spirit and enthusiasm to make up for all the strangled cats.  Finally, this afternoon we had our big moment in the spotlight.
 
It wasn't the best performance in the history of the world and I don't think Hollywood will come calling anytime soon, but it was so much fun!  Plus, the kids loved it and started singing along and applauded like we really were rock stars when we finished.  My class was so jazzed about the assembly that they were all planning how much they were going to read so that they could win the grand prize, an opportunity to make their own rock video with the principal.  Sometimes, my job is so cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment