Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Eight Months To "I Do" & Fiance To The Rescue

I started writing this blog three and a half weeks ago and never got back to it.  Such is the hectic, chaotic mess that is my life right now!  For the most part, it's a happy chaos, though.  Three weeks ago, however, I was experiencing a decidedly unhappy chaos. 

In the span of a few days, I received some bad news from a friend, got a migraine, had to stay late after work on two different days to make up parent-teacher conferences (for parents who stood me up on conference day), and was temporarily orphaned while my mother was out of town on a business trip.  But, I am not about to write a gloom and doom blog, so please keep reading.  Nope, this blog is going to be about the silver lining that appeared on the gray cloud that was my week.

The silver lining to this story is not a what, but rather a who.  Someone stepped up for me that week.  This person went above and beyond to smooth over the rough patches and ease my distress.  As should be obvious from the title, my wonderful fiance was the one who helped me through a very challenging week.

When I came home from getting unpleasant news from a friend, it was my honey who held me while I cried out the tears I'd been holding back on the drive home.  He was also the one who patiently listened to me as I sniffled my way through the explanation of what had happened.  My honey even tried to help me think of solutions for the problem I sobbingly dropped in his lap. 

I admit it!  I've been a real cry baby lately.
Prior to getting engaged, I rarely ever cried in front of my fiance, probably because he always makes me so happy!  But, in the eight short weeks we've been engaged, I have cried buckets over the stupidest little things.  I cried over the wedding dress debacle.  You'll be happy to hear that I finally found THE dress when I went to a different wedding boutique.  The second place had much better service and a much wider selection for curvaceous girls like me.  I cried over bridesmaid drama.  I cried over the engagement photo proofs, which as predicted did not show me at my best.  I cried over our Thanksgiving Day schedule when his mother didn't have dinner at the time I was hoping she would.  I cried until I was dehydrated from all the tears I had shed.

I cried so much and so often that I actually looked my behavior up on the internet.  Did you know that there is actually something called post-engagement blues that many engaged women experience?  Go ahead and google it.  I'll wait.  Apparently, going from the thrill of the chase to the elation of getting your engagement ring to the stressful reality of planning a big wedding causes some brides-to-be to get the blues.  I seem to have been one of those brides. 

I'm doing much better now, but when I didn't have the answers to any of the big questions people were asking me it made me a little emotional.  Okay, I was a lot emotional.  So sue me!  I was also very easily flustered or frustrated. When's the wedding? Where's the reception?  Have you found your dress yet? Have you booked your DJ? Photographer? Videographer? Caterer? Cake Baker?  Until I had the answers everybody was looking for, I just couldn't seem to relax and the only place I seemed to be able to vent all that stress was through my eyeballs in the form of tears. 

My poor fiance didn't know what to do with me.  But, as he always does, he found the perfect things to say and do.  He held me every time I cried and told me he loved me.  He even stepped up to help me make some wedding decisions and take those worries off my plate.  He's been a real trooper!

But, I digress. My point is, he saw me through the teary days.  The day after that I was supposed to get up at 3:30 in the morning to take my mom to the airport.  Again, my knight in shining armor, I mean fiance, came to my rescue.  My honey decided that I had been through enough the day before and needed my rest, so he tucked me back in after my alarm went off and took the dawn patrol to the airport with his future mother-in-law.  Can you see why I love this man?

Later that day, I came home from work with the worst migraine of my life.  My head felt like it would explode.  I was sensitive to light and sound.  I was even mildly nauseous.  In short, I arrived on our front stoop looking like a hot mess.  Once again, my fiance donned his suit of shining armor and came to my rescue.  He got me some medicine to ease my headache, ran out to get me dinner, and spent the rest of the evening watching over me like a mother hen.  He was awesome!

The following two days, my honey had dinner waiting for me when I got home from working late.  Parent-teacher conference day is long enough without dragging it out for two weeks, but my honey made it less stressful by having the home fires burning and a hot meal waiting for me when I dragged my tired self home.

All that was three weeks ago, so long ago now that I looked at this blog posted and considered deleting it because I could hardly remember what I'd been writing about.  But, I am determined to keep my blog going, even in all the wedding planning chaos.  So here it is, my somewhat hazy recollections of being weepy six to eight weeks ago and my fiance being awesome three weeks ago.  Much more has happened since then and maybe I'll have some time to tell you about it once I'm off for Christmas break.  We'll see.

But, just in case I don't get to post before the holidays...

No comments:

Post a Comment